History

Thoresby Park is one of the four Heritage estates which formed ‘The Dukeries’.

Thoresby Park has been owned by the Pierrepont family since 1630.  The family takes a full and active part in the management of the many enterprises which keep Thoresby well maintained, enabling it to survive for the next generation.

The park was laid out in the 17th century in a formal, geometric, Jacobean style.  This was subsequently softened and rounded on the advice of Capability Brown and then Humphrey Repton, both of whom we must thank for the mature landscape that we now enjoy.

Thoresby remains the picture of a traditional country Estate; its parkland exhibits all the grandeur of days long gone.  However, beneath all this lies the true Thoresby of the present day; a business, a home and a community.

In 2009 the Pierrepont family formed a joint venture with a luxury lodge developer to rejuvenate the former Ministry of Defence Proteus Park site… to give us The Sherwood Hideaway.