Things to do in Sherwood Forest
There are so many fantastic things to do in Sherwood Forest – it really is the ideal holiday destination for couples and families.
The Sherwood Hideaway is perfectly located for you to enjoy the very best that the local areas has to offer, from incredible woodlands to county parks; castles to market towns; watersports to high wire adventures.
We’ve listed some of our favourites perfect for Weekend Breaks and Holidays:
- Parks and forests: No stay at The Sherwood Hideaway is complete without discovering Sherwood Forest. Learn all about its history as the legendary stomping ground of Robin Hood. Say the name Sherwood Forest and it conjures up all sorts of emotions. It is the substance of legends and fables, literature and film, yet the real story, the history and facts of Sherwood Forest, are less well known. Why not explore the hundreds of acres of ancient woodland here on foot or by bike? Another favourite of ours is the breathtakingly beautiful Clumber Park, which boasts over 3,800 acres of parkland, heath and woodlands. Or why not visit the 12th century ruins of Rufford Abbey?. This is one of Nottinghamshire’s favourite attractions and dates mainly from 1170.
- Activity centres: Sherwood Forest Activity Centre is the place to be for the best adventure and adrenaline-fuelled day out in the forest! Here you can enjoy everything from quad biking and archery o paintball and laser tag! Think of Sherwood Forest and you may not automatically think of watersports! But the UK’s national centre for watersports is only a short drive away. For a totally different perspective of the woodland and countryside, why not enjoy a day horse ride through the forest?
- Building and galleries – Explore spectacular Nottingham Castle, which dates back to the 17th Century, and explore the labyrinth of caves beneath is magnificent walls. Or head over to Woolaton Hall and visit one of the UK’s most wonderful Edwardian mansions. Within the grounds you can visit Nottingham’s Natural History Museum and the Industrial Museum. or see the incredible craft works on display at The Harley Gallery.
- Towns & Cities The Sherwood Hideaway is close to the historic towns of Newark and Southwell. Newark boasts one of the finest Georgian market squares in the UK and is a town steeped in history with a dramatic castle and two museums. Southwell is a picturesque market town, that is described as the jewel in Nottinghamshire’s crown. Nearby are the vibrant cities of Nottingham and Lincoln, which are alos well worth a visit…
- Where to eat Whether you fancy a take-away a quick bite or a more formal meal, you’ll be spoilt for choice with so many options nearby. Take a look at our guide to restaurants close to The Sherwood Hideaway.